Remembering the Great War - a tribute from Woodbine Willie

Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy MC a.k.a Woodbine Willie, for his custom to give woodbines to the blokes in the trenches in the Great War, died March 8th, 1929.

Woodbine Willie was a man of a great down to earth faith. Here are two of his poems which speak for themselves:

Faith.

HOW do I know that God is good? I don't.
I gamble like a man. I bet my life
Upon one side in life's great war. I must,
I can't stand out. I must take sides. The man
Who is a man a neutral in this fight is not
A man. He's bulk and body without breath,
Cold leg of lamb without mint sauce. A fool.
He makes me sick. Good Lord! Weak tea! Cold slops!
I want to live, live out, not wobble through
My life somehow, and then into the dark.
I must have God. This life's too dull without,
Too dull for aught but suicide. What's man
To live for else?

...

So through the clouds of Calvary--there shines
His face, and I believe that Evil dies,
And Good lives on, loves on, and conquers all--
All War must end in Peace. These clouds are lies.
They cannot last. The blue sky is the Truth.
For God is Love. Such is my Faith, and such
My reasons for it, and I find them strong
Enough. And you? You want to argue? Well,
I can't. It is a choice. I choose the Christ.


War.

There's a soul in the Eternal,
Standing stiff before the King.
There's a little English maiden
Sorrowing.
There's a proud and tearless woman,
Seeing pictures in the fire.
There's a broken battered body
On the wire.


Woodbine Willie's poetry can be bought at all good bookstores, for example Amazon stcok

Rough Rhymes of a Padre (1918)


November is a time to remember, and never to forget.
God bless you as you seek to do his will, and may we all work for peace.

Your friend and vicar,

Adrian